Saturday, September 25, 2010

A Time For All Things Under The Heaven

The summer months sped by and I turned my attention to things of the earth. Living in Winnipeg, we always feel rather frantic to cram as much activity as we can into the time of the year when the weather is warm and the sun is shining.

But what a summer we have had! Along with the heat, we have had more rain that I can remember! In my yard at the north side of the city are 4 apples trees, real apples,not crabs and this year the apple fairy decided that they would produce apples galore! As the little round orbs started to swell, the branches of my trees began to bend. One morning I looked out and saw that one of the trees in my front yard was literally scraping the ground with her branches, like a dancer doing a deep bow at the end of her performance.

Oh, my goodness, I thought to myself. Being of Eastern European extraction, I started to fret about the quantity of apples and whether i could actually utilize them all appropriately. Waste not, want not, dontcha know!

I now have explored and experimented with every kind of apple related preserve and other application that I could find in my various cookbooks and on the net. I have apples jelly, apple pie in a jar, apple sauce with flavours of various kinds added to it, apple juice, baggies of dried apple slices and apple leather which, even though I am not a big lover of that kind of thing, is pretty tasty.

But there is only so much of the above that one can make and I started to feel desperate! Then my daughter who is a facebook junkie posted my situation on her site, putting out a call to one and all to come and get the apples. I had, of course been giving them out all along but what I discovered was that no one wanted more than a bag or two. That just wasn't going to cut it this year! We did haul about a dozen boxes off to Winnipeg Harvest but apparently we weren't the only ones doing that! But the call was heard and at the end of the season, James showed up and took away the last remains of the crop of 2010 to the horse farm where he and the kids he works with go to feed the horses. I think that those horses had a little feast this year!

And I have almost 200 jars of various types of canning with more to come since I still have beets and tomatoes to deal with. Last week I put half of the garden to bed. The day was warm and sunny and the smell of the fall was all around me. I don't know what I like better, the fresh tangyness of the spring or the sweet scent of the autumn. Summer can be too hot by half and winter, well, we all know what its like in Winnipeg in the winter!

So I didn't do a lot of writing over the last few months, none to post at any rate. You can still catch me in the Aquarian--I had articles in both of the last two issues and I'm working on something for the winter issue as well--but I haven't been doing a lot of other writing. I just posted a Leo blog to complete the cycle of the 12 zodiac signs so the archives have a few thoughts on different ways to look at each energy as it comes round in the year.

I will give some thought as to what I want to explore next blogwise so keep checking in from time to time if you are interested int he starry skies and how they mirror this muddle here on earth!

In the meantime, have a great fall, get ready for solstice and be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment